Friday, February 5, 2010

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

We are reportedly in the midst of experiencing the biggest snow storm in the Mid-Atlantic in 80 years. Oh goodie! Lots of people are complaining about the snow but so long as everyone is safe and the power stays on, we are good to go. I kind of like it myself. Everything is so quiet and tranquil, even if it's deceptively so.

We had a small hiccup of a power outage tonight around 10 p.m. and it scared Max. He immediately wanted to find his flashlight in case it happened again and asked to sleep with both of us. Some night guard he will make!

Anyway, after everyone went to sleep, I stayed downstairs and did - can you guess? - made some flower arrangements. Well, truth be told it's after I found the emergency candles, matches and hand-crank radio. Just in case... While the weather folks are in a media frenzy over at the Weather Channel, I'm realizing that there may just be some substance to their usual attempt to make hysteria out of nothing.

Anyway, I had a bunch of flowers left-over from a nice job I delivered today and rather than see them go to waste, I played. Listening to our dear friend Sean Johson (www.seanjohnsonandthewildlotusband.com) sing and chant on his latest album, Devaloka, I puttered, clipped, taped and designed in the silence of the night. For me it's so relaxing and uplifting. It's like a meditation almost. Touching nature, things grown from our beautiful Mother Earth and feeling their energy is such a treat in our exaggerated technological world. Don't get me started on Nature Deficit Disorder. It's too late for that soapbox.

I fear that when my family wakes up in the morning, they will think that the forces of the blizzard and gale force winds have swept them away from Tunis Mills and moved them into a flower shop. They all seem to like it so far and are excited for my new venture. Even Max is excited and wants to show me a few tips with magnolia leaves and his phaleonopsis orchid.

No comments:

Post a Comment