Sunday, February 7, 2010

Here Comes the Sun!






It's a beautiful sunny day though only 29 degrees out. Molly just woke up from her nap and we're going to pile on our snow clothes and boots to go make an igloo (Max's request) and some snow angels. Then the obligatory hot chocolate when we return.

We lost power for about three hours last night around 6 pm. Thank you to the utility workers who braved the snow and cold to fix our power lines in pitch black darkness last night. Power was restored just around 9, about the same time my camping spirit "resolve" started to wane. Thankfully, our neighbors down the street, who are obviously on a different grid, offered to let us stay at their house last night, something we were very close to doing. It's one thing for Tom and me to brave the cold (couldn't be worse than when we were hiking around the Annapurna in Nepal) but I was concerned about the two littles.

The worst part of the power outage for me, and I write this knowing I have so little to complain about and so much to be grateful for, is not knowing. I have spent a lot of my adult life trying to learn how to be comfortable with not knowing and having faith in the unknown. I have yet to study the chapter on power outages and things that concern the welfare of my children. Should we pack up and go to my mom's house because she always has power but risk the bad roads to get there? Or are we safer staying put in our home, albeit cold and uncomfortable? Luckily, I never had to answer those questions last night and will continue to work on the faith part.

It's remarkable that this snow-covered winterland is the same garden that will spring to vibrancy in a couple of months. Keeping fingers crossed we don't lose any trees or branches. My next door neighbor lost two big branches off of her stunning and mature magnolia. (I'm hoping she'll let me have a few smaller branches.)

I'm getting pressure to go make an igloo. Must suit up! Here are a few photos I took when I went out to sweep the snow off of our heat pumps yesterday afternoon. Today you can't even see my tracks through the two foot snow!

1 comment:

  1. hi - just checking to see if the comment option works. suzy says it doesn't. beautiful flowers by the way!

    ReplyDelete