Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day






And Happy Chinese New Year, Korean Lunar New Year and Tet (Vietnamese Lunar New Year)! We cover all of them in our house so as not to leave anyone out. It's one of my favorite traditions in our family that I am trying to build as an annual holiday amidst our patchwork tribe in an effort to honor both Max and Molly's native countries. Plus, I always love to host a party and it's a neat opportunity to share our childrens' rich cultures with our friends and community!

Traditionally, for said celebrations in Asia - all marked by the same lunar calendar every year - people clean their houses, sweep out the old energy, clear a path for the new and honor our ancestors.

So I think it's little coincidence that I just happened to choose to open my little floral design business on the cusp of the Lunar New Year. Without doing so consciously, I've been clearing out the creative clutter (mostly in brain that shows up as writer's block or artist's block) and embarking on the new with enthusiasm and excitement. For once, it doesn't matter what other people think of me or if I'm doing it right. I'm just doing it - giving it a try without expectations or a demand for results. Of course, I will be happy and call it a success if I can cover the cost of my flowers and supplies!

A new venture for me, this business called Fleurish, and I feel like I've opened a brand new door. To where I'm not sure and the odd thing is I don't have to be at the helm navigating. I have to do what the captain says and so far that has been completely graceful and with ease. In fact, I don't recall doing anything so gracefully and spirit-led in my life THIS CONSCIOUSLY than what I am doing now. It's as if I am but a mere channel and the directions or creations come through me.

Philosophizing aside, I wanted to give a big thank you to the brave souls who believed in me this past week, placing the trust of their Valentine's Day orders in my green hands. I thank you for your courage and for your belief in me. During the process of every design I created, I consciously thought of whomever I was creating the flowers for you, thinking of what they would like in terms of color and style. Not every girl is a red rose fan but variety was limited, especially the close we got to Valentine's Day.

Fifteen orders later, I'm ready for a bath and a few days off cuz my feet hurt but the experience over the past week was fabulous. Thanks again, friends. Your trust is a healing balm for my soul.

Here are a few designs I did for friends/clients over the past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment